Hey Family!
This week has been another great week in Troutdale Oregon!
So, we have seen great progress in our Bible study class that we have started. Usually, we get about 3 or 4 youth to attend, but 2 weeks ago we had 12 youth. There were 3 non-members, 1 less active member, and 8 young men and young women who actively attend church. But what is really amazing is that for the last 5 weeks we have had a friend of a member in our ward, named Amber, coming to our Bible study class. She has asked a few questions and said she has really enjoyed the class. At church we were going to ask Nicole (the member) if Amber would be interested in meeting with the missionaries. BUT at church, Nicole came up to US and asked "How can I ask my friend if she wants to have formal discussions with you, the Elders?" That was truly a miracle. It might have been a small one, but hey, that went in my journal.
This week's lesson was about Lot and his wife. We called it "Look not behind thee". There was a video on mormon.org that came out I think about 2 years ago. This short video was in some diner, in New York City, asking people what they know about the story of Lot's wife. There were a lot of funny answers, but the story was explained and we started taking about how people have the power to change, to "look not behind thee." And the most important part of this message was that when we change, the Savior needs to be in the center of our lives because it is through him that we can change. This lesson was fitting because it was soon to be the new year, and people often make resolutions to change and improve the quality of their lives at this time. That is why Elder Rowley and I took this video and made it into a lesson. We have done lessons from the Old Testament and the New Testament. Elder Rowley and I also look at this Bible study as a great opportunity for the youth to get more excited about missionary work and invite their friends to come to church and learn more. Who knows, maybe this experience will help one of the youth decide to go on a mission!
It has been great to work with Elder Rowley. By following his example, and by great companionship studies, we have both learned how to teach more simply an clearly. We have really tried to implement everything that Elder Grow has taught us. For example, we spend about half our time teaching and serving less active members, we use his goal setting plans, and we use an 8-step checklist to make sure that investigators are welcomed in church. I am learning that goal setting is important and I have really found the 13 daily planning steps that we do each night are the key to the success of our missionary work. Most of the time it takes more than 30 minutes to plan (we don't just plan for the next day, but we continuously plan for the week each night), but it is worth it. There is a lot to be said for writing down your goals and then accounting for them regularly.
Now, Elder Rowley and I haven't been converting thousands of *Lamanites, nor have Elder Rowley and I been baptizing thousands, but I know that the people we teach are getting closer and closer to becoming baptized members of the church. I was reading Alma chapter 26 today in personal study and it seems to fit how I have been feeling.
Ammon says in verse 12, " Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
I truly feel that Elder Rowley and I are just instruments in the Lord's hands. We have seen many miracles in Troutdale, Oregon. I know that I am weak. I have imperfections. BUT in HIS strength I can do all things. I know this without a doubt in my heart. I am grateful to be serving a mission, to bring others closer to Christ so that they can have his strength to overcome their weaknesses and find joy in this life and in the life to come.
Thank you for all your prayers. They have helped me so much on my mission!
If there is anything I can do for you, just let me know.
Love,
Elder Trevor A. Morgan
This week has been another great week in Troutdale Oregon!
So, we have seen great progress in our Bible study class that we have started. Usually, we get about 3 or 4 youth to attend, but 2 weeks ago we had 12 youth. There were 3 non-members, 1 less active member, and 8 young men and young women who actively attend church. But what is really amazing is that for the last 5 weeks we have had a friend of a member in our ward, named Amber, coming to our Bible study class. She has asked a few questions and said she has really enjoyed the class. At church we were going to ask Nicole (the member) if Amber would be interested in meeting with the missionaries. BUT at church, Nicole came up to US and asked "How can I ask my friend if she wants to have formal discussions with you, the Elders?" That was truly a miracle. It might have been a small one, but hey, that went in my journal.
This week's lesson was about Lot and his wife. We called it "Look not behind thee". There was a video on mormon.org that came out I think about 2 years ago. This short video was in some diner, in New York City, asking people what they know about the story of Lot's wife. There were a lot of funny answers, but the story was explained and we started taking about how people have the power to change, to "look not behind thee." And the most important part of this message was that when we change, the Savior needs to be in the center of our lives because it is through him that we can change. This lesson was fitting because it was soon to be the new year, and people often make resolutions to change and improve the quality of their lives at this time. That is why Elder Rowley and I took this video and made it into a lesson. We have done lessons from the Old Testament and the New Testament. Elder Rowley and I also look at this Bible study as a great opportunity for the youth to get more excited about missionary work and invite their friends to come to church and learn more. Who knows, maybe this experience will help one of the youth decide to go on a mission!
It has been great to work with Elder Rowley. By following his example, and by great companionship studies, we have both learned how to teach more simply an clearly. We have really tried to implement everything that Elder Grow has taught us. For example, we spend about half our time teaching and serving less active members, we use his goal setting plans, and we use an 8-step checklist to make sure that investigators are welcomed in church. I am learning that goal setting is important and I have really found the 13 daily planning steps that we do each night are the key to the success of our missionary work. Most of the time it takes more than 30 minutes to plan (we don't just plan for the next day, but we continuously plan for the week each night), but it is worth it. There is a lot to be said for writing down your goals and then accounting for them regularly.
Now, Elder Rowley and I haven't been converting thousands of *Lamanites, nor have Elder Rowley and I been baptizing thousands, but I know that the people we teach are getting closer and closer to becoming baptized members of the church. I was reading Alma chapter 26 today in personal study and it seems to fit how I have been feeling.
Ammon says in verse 12, " Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
I truly feel that Elder Rowley and I are just instruments in the Lord's hands. We have seen many miracles in Troutdale, Oregon. I know that I am weak. I have imperfections. BUT in HIS strength I can do all things. I know this without a doubt in my heart. I am grateful to be serving a mission, to bring others closer to Christ so that they can have his strength to overcome their weaknesses and find joy in this life and in the life to come.
Thank you for all your prayers. They have helped me so much on my mission!
If there is anything I can do for you, just let me know.
Love,
Elder Trevor A. Morgan
Mom note: *Lamanites - People who lived anciently in the Americas and many were converted to Christ by the efforts of a great missionary, Ammon, and his brothers. Their story is in the Book of Mormon.
No comments:
Post a Comment