Hey
there family!
This
week was another great week for missionary work in Oregon City, even when we
basically had to take two days out. I
guess it is just that time of year, but this week we had Elder Corbridge of the *Seventy come visit our mission for two days. (The person who wrote "The 4th
Missionary" talk.) Elder Corbridge (with much love and appreciation)
ripped us to shreds and said missionaries think they know how to teach....but
they really don't. He basically tore us down and then built us back up. It was
funny because when we had our break for lunch, we all kinda felt a little
depressed cause he kinda left us in a spot where it felt like we just had no
idea WHAT we were teaching and no idea HOW to teach.
With
that being said, I really enjoyed his visit to the OPM (Oregon Portland
Mission). He talked A LOT about "What is the M.I.T." (most important
thing) when we teach in Lesson 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Now, we're missionaries. We
KNOW what's in the lessons. But I guess not as well as we should. We went
lesson by lesson talking about what the most important thing was in each
lesson. I'll just talk about lesson 1 (The Restoration) right now.
What
do you guys think it is?....well it wasn't what any of us missionaries said but
at the same time we were all SUPER close. We would just raise our hand and
Elder Corbridge would write in on the whiteboard. I raised my hand and said
that "the blessings of the gospel were on the earth". I thought that
was a good answer....and it's kinda the correct answer too, but only kinda. My
answer was dang close. The most important thing is "THE GOSPEL OF JESUS
CHRIST." The reason that we teach people is so that they will understand
that "When we are baptized unto repentance, we can be redeemed of our sins, be endowed with power from on high, and have eternal life and joy today." That is the most important thing. No matter what lesson,
what topic, or anything. I am here to invite others to come unto Christ by
helping them receive the restored gospel thought faith in Jesus Christ, and His
atonement. All people can achieve this by repentance, baptism, receiving the
gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.
So
now we missionaries know WHAT to teach. Next he taught us HOW to teach. I'm gonna give you the notes that I think were the most important.
1.Destination
(Doctrine) [Why?]
2.Route
(Principles) [How?]
3.Conclusion
(Application) [What?]
This
is what stood out to me the most.
This
is what I am now trying to implement into my teaching. I am sorry if I am bad
at explaining this, but I'll give it a try. If
I'm teaching "The Restoration"
or "Eternal Marriage" my goal is to use this teaching method. The
words I say and the way I say it will not be the same because I am teaching
different topics, but the method by which I can teach can be used with any
lesson. I need to always let the Holy Ghost guide my thoughts and words, but
sometimes missionaries (including myself) "say" a lot of extra things.
In the end the person we are teaching gets the point, but it could have been
done much more efficiently, effectively and successfully.
Yes,
what a missionary says can bring the spirit in, but the ideas Elder Corbridge
talked about showed us how to teach logically, clearly, simply, and powerfully.
Missionaries need to get out of the way and let the Holy Ghost teach
powerfully, logically, simply, and clearly. Once the missionaries get out the
the way, we can really "Let the Holy Spirit Guide," and if
missionaries can connect the "Doctrine" with the
"Principles" people can understand our purpose even more.
I
hope this was clear and not to complicated. I loved what Elder Corbridge taught
us and each day I am trying to get better and better at teaching with the Holy
Ghost as my guide. With
clear, simple, powerful logic and most importantly the Holy Ghost testifying of
truth, one can come to know that the "most important thing" which is
Jesus Christ and His Gospel.
Love,
Elder
Morgan
*Seventy: This is a priesthood office in the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Traditionally, a Latter-day Saint holding this priesthood office is a "traveling minister" and an "especial witness" of Jesus Christ, charged with the mission of preaching the gospel to the world under the direction of the twelve apostles. Anciently, the office of seventy was conferred upon the seventy disciples mentioned in the Gospel of Luke 10:1-2.
*Seventy: This is a priesthood office in the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Traditionally, a Latter-day Saint holding this priesthood office is a "traveling minister" and an "especial witness" of Jesus Christ, charged with the mission of preaching the gospel to the world under the direction of the twelve apostles. Anciently, the office of seventy was conferred upon the seventy disciples mentioned in the Gospel of Luke 10:1-2.
No comments:
Post a Comment