Wednesday, October 24, 2012

August 13, 2012 - Catch Up Post

Preface from Elder Morgan's father: Time passed quickly since the last post, so I thought catching up would be in order for those following Elder Morgan's doings. So, here we go...


August 13, 2012

Hello Family,

This week has been another great week in the OC!

I could talk about many wonderful miracles and about the tender mercies that the Lord has given Elder Quinton and me, but I want to talk about the wonderful experience I had last night.

I think the highlight of this week was last night at my stake's "The Rescue" (Trek Youth Conference) fireside. This is a regular fireside that takes place after the Trek Youth Conference to talk about the great experiences each had and to listen to a few talks; and then, to watch some videos which summarize "The Rescue" Experience.

[Note from Elder Morgan’s father – Here’s the background information for those not members of the LDS church and who may be unfamiliar with what the “The Rescue” means: In the early fall of 1856, two groups of LDS emigrants left the vicinity of Omaha, NE bound for Salt Lake City, UT. The Saints piled all of their possessions into handcarts, primarily, with the intent of arriving in the Salt Lake City valley before winter set in. Unfortunately, a particularly strong early-fall snow storm stranded these Saints in the high plains of Wyoming. They were ill prepared for what the weather brought. Struggling with the severe weather was a challenge; and many succumbed to the effects of the strong storms.  Brigham Young learned, on the morning of a day full of meetings called a "General Conference , about the struggles these pioneers were facing.  Brigham Young changed the planned proceedings of the General Conference and spoke of the need to rescue these destitute travelers. Later that afternoon, teams of wagons loaded with supplies left Salt lake City bound for the rescue of these stranded saints, not knowing if their efforts would find many travelers still alive. The rescuers found the struggling pioneers and, in fact, rescued them from a certain death. The stories told by the pioneers about their struggles and their rescue are heart wrenching and miraculous. This rescue is an important part of LDS history; and it serves as a reminder of our modern-day duty to others to help save them from circumstances that challenge their lives, whether those needing rescue are LDS or not. We have an obligation to our brothers and sisters since we are children of God.]

This fireside was such a spiritual high for me. Elder Quinton and I were the only missionaries invited to attend. I’ll tell you about that in a moment. This fireside made me reflect upon all the powerful feelings that I had during my youth conference experiences – especially my last one to Kirtland, Ohio.

Youth Conferences are a sacred thing. It seems that the real lives of today’s youth just stops so that youth conference can begin. But really, it is the opposite. Their real lives START when a youth goes to youth conference. Youth Conference bolsters youth so that the challenges they face in other aspects of life can be overcome by their testimonies which are strengthened (and, some, even gained) from being a part of youth conference.

Focusing on youth in the church should be (and I know it is) a big part of the Church. I don’t remember the exact part in the Book of Mormon (and I don’t have enough time to look it up online), but I think it is in Mosiah 20-something. The youth were not taught the ways of their parents; and so the youth did not continue in the faith of their fathers. That is not what the Church wants today; and the Church is doing all it can to make the current generation of youth the strongest generation, yet. The youth were prepared before the foundation of the world to come to the earth at this time of life. The Church depends on the youth.

This year’s message for the stake’s youth is "ARISE AND SHINE FORTH". What a great message. The big focus for "The Rescue" was "WE DO HARD THINGS". That is a missionary focus, as well.  Youth Conference prepares future Elder and Sister Missionaries more than anything else can. I know from personal experience. I know that the miracles and feelings of the Holy Ghost have literally changed my life. My last youth conference was when I REALLY decided to go on a mission. My life was changed – changed for the better. Youth conference literally started my life. Whenever I have hard times on my mission, whenever I have the feelings of doubt, I remember what I felt at Youth Conferences. I KNOW the gospel is true.

Now, to why Elder Quinton and I were the only missionaries who attended the fireside: The Stake Presidency asked me to sing and Elder Quinton to play at the Youth Conference fireside. This was truly a blessing for me. Not just singing at it, but being able to feel the Holy Ghost at this fireside. Elder Quinton played, on the piano, the song "Nearer My God to Thee" and I sang the melody, but using the words to Hymn 101 (“Guide Me To Thee”). I really enjoy singing those words.

Blake, never forget the feelings you had in the Sacred Grove. They are true. They are something you will treasure your whole life. You will be faced with opposition in life, but these feelings are what will get you through.

In missionary work, it’s not the missionaries that have the converting power, it’s the Holy Ghost. I am grateful for the reminder that I have had, this week, about the power of the Holy Ghost and about the importance it plays in everyone’s lives.

Love,
Elder Trevor A. Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment