Thursday, March 15, 2012

I'm Back... sorry it's been so long.


*Note to readers,

Elder Morgan began his mission in Oregon with Elder Rowley as his first companion, and the two of them quickly became peas in a pod. They were a great team with common interests, common life goals, common energy, and a shared vision for their work as missionaries. They set high goals for themselves, and worked hard to achieve them. Elder Rowley was a great missionary, who trained Elder Morgan in a manner that was well suited for him.

Elder Morgan got a new companion in early February and quickly learned that the two of them share a very different approach to missionary work. The second companionship is often an adjustment for new missionaries because just when you thought you were getting the hang of everything, you are surprised to find that missionaries come in all varieties and can be very different from you, and yet, you still share the same purpose. It has been a good learning experience for Elder Morgan to have his eyes opened to a different approach, a different perspective, and as the junior companion, he is learning how to follow and support a leader who's enthusiasm and drive are calmer and more slowly paced than Elder Morgan is used to. (Go figure, he's from Northern Virginia.) It has been a journey, but he is learning great things in life that will certainly help him in future relationships as a husband, father and in working with people in his career etc. We are so proud of him! 
--MOM

Hey there family!

This week has been a much calmer week. Still, the week is filled with ups and with downs, but one thing I have learned is that patience really is a virtue. Patience is a Christ-like attribute. Christ was the most patient man who ever walked the earth. As a member of His Church, we need to follow His example. Everyone needs to exercise patience.

This week has been a good week. I have had to lessen some "external" goals (lessons taught, finding hours, progressing investigators) and set them aside in order to achieve more important "internal" goals (peace, companion unity (and success), being a successful missionary, and true happiness). Goal setting is important because through goals one can judge how well he or she did and what they need to improve upon. As a missionary we ALWAYS have goals. We have daily goals, weekly goals, and monthly goals. Sometimes we can get lost in all the goals we set. The most important thing to realize is that all these goals are helping us fulfill our duty, our calling, to help others come unto Christ. "OTHERS" means everyone...our investigators, less active members, members, other missionaries, even my companion and I. I don't think I have ever gotten lost in the "stats" of the mission (focusing on numbers rather than people), but I strive to really do my best. I'm learning that maybe I need to readjust my "external goals" depending on who I am working with, but always keep my "internal" goals in my mind and my heart and always strive to do my best.

A few weeks ago one of my zone leaders told me that as missionaries most of us, if not all of us are here to do the same work...but there are 1000 different ways to accomplish it. I have figured that out the hard way. Now, when I refine what I think should be done, I look at what was done previously. I look for what has worked and what has not worked. I look at my leaders and see what works for them. I do my best to follow the instructions that we have been given as missionaries.... but not everyone seems to think the exact same way I do...go figure. BUT, that's okay. I truly do appreciate when others endeavor to do their best, but when others don't match up to the potential I think they can, or when they just go through the motions and don't actually do them...that's one place where I have to exercise my patience.

Maybe others have different "internal goals" than I do. Why I might not agree with their goals, I still try to respect them as much as I can. They want to do the same thing I want to do. They want to bring others to come unto Christ. I really try hard not to be judgmental, or disrespectful. I strive to work together. I really try. I need to look INWARD before looking OUTWARD. I'm not perfect...at all. I strive to be perfect. I strive to be a great missionary, one who is striving to follow God's will...trying to be Christ-like. The chapter in "Preach my Gospel" titled "Christ-like attributes" is an amazing chapter. I love that chapter, but I need to read it more. I'm making a goal to read one section from it every day.

I know that when I focus my life on Jesus Christ and His teaching, I WILL be able to get through whatever trials I face in my life. I will be able to have joy in whatever I do. That's why I love to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it will bless others lives just like it has mine.

I love you!

Love,

Elder Trevor A Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment