Hey there all!
Things in Troutdale are going great! Missionary work is going strong. Last Thursday our zone had a zone conference which really enlightened me. I think the biggest thing or idea I learned there was that everything in the Gospel of Jesus Christ can be tied back to the restoration. As a missionary, I am helping others receive the restored gospel. Families are so important in our church, and the Lord will bless families when they obey God's commandments. I know this because His gospel has been restored on the earth today, and this is part of His message. Today, we have prophets to lead and to guide us. This is because the gospel has been restored today. Those are just a couple of examples. I also love that we have the Book of Mormon. I know it is physical proof that the restoration of the gospel has happened. Others can read it and pray for themselves to know if it is true.
On lesser gospel topics, Troutdale has been really fun! I have really learned to enjoy and get better at... disc golf! No, it's not "Frolf" ("Frisbee Golf"). Apparently, Frisbees are different than discs. But about every other week, Elder Rowley and I go with Brother Semlotti. He actually knows there is a disc golf course in Centerville or Manassas. It's at Bull Run Park. You guys should totally get some discs and try it out. I don't know about Virginia, but in Oregon disc golfing is a sport where you meet a lot of interesting characters. Basically, in Oregon it's the poor man's, pot smoking, hippy sport. :) The sweet thing is that Brother Semlotti is really none of those, but he is one of the best disc golfers in the area. He enters competitions and he always ranks 4th or higher. Disc golfing is awesome!
Also, on one p-day, Elder Rowley and I went exploring on the banks/forested area near Sandy River. It was really neat because there were sand art paths that we rode our bikes on. We had no idea where we were going, but the good thing was when it was time to return, we found our way back. When we were on the river's beach, we took some pictures of us nest to the "I love Mormon.org" that we drew in the sand. I'll send you a picture.
This week's Bible study class was on "The Good Samaritan" (Luke 10). I would encourage you as a family and as individuals to try and be a "good Samaritan" this week and try and help others by doing service for them. The Samaritan had compassion on the "half-dead" Jew. The priest and the Levite (both "men of God") passed by the Jew. I have been thinking what it means to have compassion for others. As a missionary I try to love everyone I see. I want to share with them the gospel, but sometimes the most that I can do for them is to move their trash cans out of the road and back to their driveway. They might not even see it or notice it, but I know that I am serving the Lord when I do service. That is exactly what the good Samaritan did. He served the Jew, but he was also serving the Lord. "When ye are in the service of you fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God." Mosiah 2:17
I love you guys!
Elder Trevor A. Morgan
No comments:
Post a Comment