Howdy
Family!
This
week has been a great week for Elder Bishop and I in the Oregon City 3rd Ward! That
being said this week was just another crazy week in the OC.
I
don't know if in this email I will be able to portray my feelings about "opposition
in all things", but this week was full of opposition, both good and bad.
This week Elder Bishop and I were able to pick up 2 new investigators!...all
from tracting! This transfer Elder Bishop and I have been able to have a lot of
success in finding people. We haven't taught as many lessons as Elder Quinton
and I (not for lack of trying, they just cancel). I know the Lord is playing a
major role in preparing us and preparing those we find. This transfer we have
found 3 super solid new investigators. We also got 9 referrals from the ward members
as well! We have been able to gain the trust of the ward, and really have been
able to gain the trust of the Bishop. He gives us names of people he would like
us to go see about once a week.
If
you could pray for the investigators Elder Bishop and I are working with, that
would be great. I know that extra prayers for them would really help them in
their struggles and as well in the strengths.
We
have an investigator who is a great guy. He knows the restored gospel is true.
He is 21 and has been taught the gospel his whole life, but only on a very
simple level. His parents are less active members, and in fact both of his
brothers have become members. His older brother (22) has become less active and
now has reverted to smoking, but his other brother is the most stalwart kid I
have ever met. He comes out to teach lessons with us all the time. At first, he
didn't want to go to mutual and now he loves it, he felt the same way about
early morning seminary and now he even goes to that too. This brother will
never smoke, even though his whole family does, but they all know they
shouldn't.
Our
investigator wants to quit smoking. That is the only thing holding him back
from becoming a member. Actually that and church attendance. He hasn't come to
church for the last few weeks because it is at 9:00 in the morning. We had a
discussion on how important church is and why we go to church.
Pray
for our investigator that he will come to church and quit smoking so that he
may be baptized.
Elder
Bishop and I tracked into another great investigator. I think I told you a
little bit about him in my last emails. He has a baptismal date set for Oct. 13
but, here is where opposition come in...I have two experiences to share.
1.
He really wanted to come to church and we told him we would text him the
address to the church building. Elder Bishop and I sent him the text and on our
phone it said it "sent". Well, that Sunday he wasn't at church. We
were wondering why he wasn't there because he really wanted to come. Well, we
had a lesson on the following Tuesday with him. In the middle of the lesson he
asked us why we didn't text him the address to the church. We told him and we
SHOWED him that we did send it to him. He showed US that he didn't receive it!
AHHH. What was cool though, is that he bought a tie to wear to church and he asked
us if we could teach him how to tie a tie. So...we showed him after the lesson!
That was pretty neat. The spirit was at the lesson, he knew why the Book of
Mormon is so important and he was going to read, ponder and pray to know if it
is true. He said he felt like everything that we had told him is true.
2.
HE GOT HIT BY A CAR WHILE HE WAS WALKING. It has been about 2 weeks since we
have met with him. He is on a lot of pain meds so he has been unavailable. No
broken bones, no nothing except a lot of hurt.
Please
pray for our new investigator that he will have a speedy recovery and that the
Lord will answer his prayers so that he may be baptized.
We
also found another great family. They are two young parents and they both want
to learn more. Their only kid is Brayden and he is awesome. Right now we can
only teach the wife because the husband is working very long work hours, usually
graveyard hours. He is putting all the Christmas lights up in downtown
Portland. Anyway, they are both very interested, but last Sunday we had the
opportunity to teach the wife. The family she grew up in was never really
religious, but she always knew there was a God. It was a great first lesson about
the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. She told us she had questions
answered that she had always wondered about. The Spirit was testifying of
truth. She really loved the idea of Joseph going to ask God what church to join,
and our invitation to read the Book of Mormon, and to ask God if it is true.
She has the real intent, a sincere heart, and faith in Christ. God is not going
to lead anyone astray from the truth. She knew that. She accepted a soft baptismal
invitation. She knows that she needs to be baptized.
I
love sharing Alma 7:11-16 and talking about what the Savior did for us, and
then what the Savior asks us to do for ourselves; to use his atoning power to
its fullest capacity.
Please
pray for this woman that she can receive an answer as she prays to know that
the Book of Mormon is true, and that she may choose to be baptized.
Elder
Bishop and I are lucky to have as many investigators as we do now. We have
about 15 investigators which is truly a blessing. If you could focus on these 3
in your prayers that would be appreciated
I
love you guys. Thanks for your prayers for me and Elder Bishop.
Love,
Elder
Trevor Morgan
No comments:
Post a Comment